ABOUT THE SOCIAL MARKETING TEAM
UCAN Social is a fan-first marketing team at Netflix that has the dual mandate of 1) promoting our titles while also 2) engaging and growing audiences across platforms and channels. This team manages all social pages for the Netflix brand and its titles and develops the social campaigns for your favorite series and films on Netflix. The social team at Netflix is at the forefront of conversation with our consumers, building exciting, hilarious, thoughtful campaigns that ignite fandom across the internet.
The UCAN Social Marketing internship is an opportunity for the next generation of entertainment-obsessed writers, brand strategists, community managers, and content creators who are eager to master the tools and techniques of social storytelling across multiple social platforms.
Over the course of the program, you will learn how to read trends and create content that Netflix fans love to engage with. You will gain experience within the categories of: Content Strategy (story ideation & planning), Production, and Community Management. This is a demanding and fast-moving position that requires someone who is able to exercise good judgment, work amongst a group of high-performing professionals without being intimidated, and display significant initiative and creative chops.
The role will join the Netflix UCAN Social Team in Los Angeles for 12 weeks in the summer. Pending strong performance, there is potential to continue working part time for 3 months.
- UCAN Social Marketing interns will perform the following tasks under the guidance and supervision from a manager:
- Weekly analysis of UGC and reporting on meme culture
- Mine for reactive content opportunities: finding/responding to a hot convo each week
- Create content (develop innovative features & fixtures) and evaluate the results of content performance to inform future creation
- Maintain social posting calendars
- Develop strategies to grow new and existing social pages
- Provide support during shoots including the organization of concepts, directing requests etc.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- You should demonstrate the following:
- Be in your junior or senior year pursuing an Undergraduate or Masters degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, journalism or a related field.
- Completed coursework relevant to the job ( journalism and/or digital strategy classes, writing seminars, graphic design courses, etc.)
- Completed at least 1 relevant internship, outside of work on campus.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Photoshop and video editing software capabilities are strongly preferred.
- A deep interest and curiosity in social platforms (Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, Reddit, Snapchat, the next cool thing etc.) and passion to understand what drives people to share content
- Receive constructive feedback openly and positively; embracing the attitude that “feedback is a gift to make you better”
- Eagerness to work in a high-performing and highly collaborative environment
- Understands how to behave professionally around the stars of Netflix films and series
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational and multitasking abilities, and exceptional interpersonal skills
- The ability to efficiently manage requests from multiple colleagues
- Some experience with systems including the Google Suite (calendars, docs, slides, sheets) and Slack
- You respect, understand, and appreciate the Netflix culture. https://jobs.netflix.com/culture
HOW TO APPLY:
- REQUIRED: Instead of a traditional cover letter, tell us about yourself! In 500 words or less, please touch on the below topics:
- Introduce yourself. Share your top 3 favorite accounts / channels / influencers you follow on social platforms and why.
- If you were to start a social media account outside your personal one - what would it be for/about. If you already have a different account feel free to use that.
- Tell us something you would change about one of our social channels (Netflix TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat or YouTube channel)
- In a Twitter-length answer tell us what it’s like to be a student on social media in 2024?
- Resumes will not be considered without this
- Applicants can send their statement of intent via the Airtable form in a follow up email.
- OPTIONAL: Send an intro video of you talking through your introduction! Please keep videos to 3 minutes or less. Submit the video link with your resume and cover letter.
A writing test will be distributed to applicants who make it through the first round of the review process. It will be sent via email to those who need to complete it and will be due with a quick turn around time of a few days.
On your resume: ensure to include: Name, email, residential address, educational status (college student, graduate student), links to public social media accounts.
THE SUMMER INTERNSHIP
At Netflix, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups based on interests and skill sets, and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer. Netflix is a unique place to work and we live by our values, so it's worth learning more about our culture.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, with a choice of a few fixed start dates in May or June to accommodate varying school calendars. The UCAN social marketing interns for 2024 will be located in our Los Angeles, CA office. Relocation assistance is available.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine the Intern top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for Netflix Internships is typically $40/hour - $110/hour.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, caste, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic makeup, marital status, or military service.